How I started my artist’s research was by looking at how other
artists distort the human body in many different ways other then what I was trying
to create. I came across a lot of artists that link to the distorted theme. My
favourite artist that I found, that answers my questions of distortion is
Julien Palast and his shrink-wrapped bodies. Julien is a photographer and the
way in which he snapped each one of these images is very unique. The bodies
seem much deformed as well as oddly shaped. However with the material they have
used you can still highlight and see what the actual shape is. These images are
very fascinating with the selection of materials used. How Julien has captured
the out of kilter look of the human body.
Another artist that
makes the human body out of line is Anders Krisar. Where he has taken a form of
human skin as a material then used it in a textile process to create a misshaped
sculpture of the human male torso. This also very disturbing to look at as the
skin looks very realistic however it’s made from a type of silicone. Anders
Krisar gave me the idea of manipulating fabrics and materials themselves to
look obscured.
With artists using distortions I have found that they use many different techniques
and processes, taking everyday objects and materials then changing them. So
that the audiences and the viewers can question their ideas as well as the
techniques used.
The simplest process of changing a shape is by increasing or
decreasing the size which makes the shape more twisted. An artist who uses this
idea is Jeff Koons with his massive sculptures. One sculpture that stood out
for me was the woman he made out of pink aluminium. The woman was misshaped as
some of her body parts had been deformed and increased.






No comments:
Post a Comment