The idea of the hall of mirrors came from the fairground. At the
fairgrounds there are these obscure mirrors that change your shape when you
look at your reflection in them. They make your proportions out of line with
your head being big or small as well as your hips appearing massive or tiny.
The images look all strange and distorted not like a human being. With this idea of distorted images of the body I unpicked a jacket from
all its seams and took the whole garment apart. When I was unpicking the stitches from my jacket, all my pieces were
different shades of black. I found this is very unusual to see, and then I
thought some designers must be using different shades of colour in the construction
of their jackets, allowing the seamstress to see where the various seams matched
and how to attach them all together to make one piece. There are so many
different pieces in a jacket. Each one is different; there are many layers
within one section. What I found the most interesting was when I unpicked the
jacket I kept some stitches together .For example, I unpicked the lining from
the sleeve, but at the cuff I kept them attached. When I lay the sleeve out it gave
the garment a whole different look. It made it seem more stretched out and
looked opposite in a way the hall of mirrors would change it.By taking apart the jacket I have learnt that many different 2 D shapes
can be assembled into something 3D as a piece of sculpture. Then used as a base
for individuals to put their own unique style on these garments. This was a
learning curve, for which I will take away the knowledge and use in other areas
of my work.
No comments:
Post a Comment